If the power goes out or we're upgrading Polaris, you can still circulate materials. Just use the offline circulation spreadsheet. Simply download the spreadsheet by clicking the download (down arrow) icon. Be sure to download the file, install the fonts and test ahead of time.
- Offline Circulation spreadsheet 2018
- Download both fonts and install:
How to use the Offline Circ spreadsheet
- You must choose to Enable Macros when you open the spreadsheet.
- Only enter information in cells that are grey. All other cells will automatically populate.
- There are two sheets in the workbook. Offline Circ - Patron lets you have one printout per patron. Offline Circ - Bulk is your classic offline circ experience, simply scan in the patron barcode and items, when you reach the bottom of the spreadsheet, print it, clear the sheet and continue. There are detailed instructions on the Instructions tab.
- Remember to shred the paper copies after you successfully enter the information when Polaris is back up.
During the outage
- When a patron comes to check out their items, if using the Offline Circ - Patron sheet, type in their full name in the "Patron Name" cell. Then scan or type their barcode in the "Scan patron" cell. The Patron barcode will automatically generate.
- Scan the item in the "Scan Item" column. The numbers will appear in the left hand column and the barcode will automatically generate in the right.
- There are spots for 13 items. If you need more, from the menu, select Insert > Rows.
- When you are done, click the green printer button. This will print the worksheet. If you want a second copy, click the printer button again. Keep the paper copy for your records.
- After you have printed the worksheet, click the red eraser. This will clear the fields so you can enter the information for the next patron.
After the outage
- When you can access Polaris again, you must enter the transactions into Polaris. Perform the checkout as you normally would, using the barcodes on the paper copies.
What do I do with my check ins?
The offline circulation spreadsheet is only for checkouts during an outage. Leave your checkins to the side and do not circulate until they have been checked in to Polaris when it is restored.
How to install fonts on Windows 7
- Download Font 1 and 2 to C:\temp on your computer.
- Go Start > Computer > Double-click on C:\(Local Computer). Double click on Temp folder. Your fonts should be in that folder.
- Right-click on Font 1. Select "Install." Wait. Repeat this for Font 2.
- Go to Start > Control Pantel > Fonts and ensure that both Codabar fonts are installed.
- Test by using your Offline Circulation spreadsheet.